3/11/10


The Garos, or Mandi tribes are a gentle comunity isolated from the rest of the nation by their lush and forested jungle homeland. In the predominately Muslim country of Bangladesh, this is a matrilineal society where the women own the family land and pass on the family name. For the past 50 years, they have been in the company of The Holy Cross Mission whose purpose has been giving the tribal people opportunities to flourish both culturally, economically and spiritually.


The Holy Cross Foreign Mission Center, Inc. is a 501c3 charitable organization, whose work to provide funds and other support and assistance for overseas missions of the Congregation of Holy Cross, particularly in Bangladesh and East Africa.
The Holy Cross Mission based in Pirgacha, Bangladesh was founded by Michigan-born Father Eugene Homrich in 1960. Today there are about 10,000 Catholics in Pirgacha mission that the parish serves. About 1700 pupils study in 24 primary schools, another 550 attend High School. Today the tribal literacy rates stands at 85 percent, and many of them have graduated from college.
Education has transformed this traditional society and allowed them to thrive in a very unique environment. Supporting the programs of The Holy Cross Mission in Pirgacha is essential to the safety, survival and growth of the tribal people.

3 comments:

  1. Jeshu Nu Rashong, I hope and pray that all my Mandi brothers and sisters are doing well. The time I spent in Pirgacha changed my life. These people are some of the most kind and generous that I have ever met. Father Homrich is one of my hero's. His work their has made a significant impact in the quality of life for these people. I hope the global awareness he has raised will help preserve the unique culture of these indigenous people. I am sure Olin has something to do with this website. Please know that I think of you all often and am miss you dearly.

    Tim Gripka
    Peace Corps Volunteer (03-05)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely early Easter present to be advised of the Pirgacha Mission website! For several years I was honoured to be the Treasurer & a Trustee of the Boston Jalchatra Project which raised funds in England in support of the wonderful work done by Father Gene Homrich over so many years. In 2004 I emigrated from Britain to live in Mauritius where my wife was born. I have been glad that I could keep in touch with Father Gene & receive the news of life in Pirgacha, some good & some heartbreaking of the trials of the Mandi people. Seeing the photos & the videos of life in your villages fills me with great joy & wish you all every success in your wonderful endeavours together. May God Bless you & keep you safe at this Eastertide & always. David Hirst

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia Coverdale-JonesNovember 11, 2010 at 4:10 AM

    For many years (1985-2003) we had a small committee, of which I was Chair, in Barton-on-Humber, North Lincolnshire, UK, which supported the Jalchatra Project through the Boston link. We were able to folow the improvements in Jalchatra, under the guidance of Father Homrich I really appreciate the website here which gives information on developments even though there is here also some very bad news about the persecution of the people. Wishing you all the best possible outcome in these difficult times.

    ReplyDelete